Hi~! Having a difficult time making new friends? Have you always wanted to talk with someone at school or maybe at work? Are you interested but don’t know how to start a conversation with a stranger? Worry no more, here are some of the most effective things you can do to finally talk with him/her:
- Eye contactThis is the first step and is the easiest one to do. Meaningful eye contact shows that you are interested in someone. This also shows that you are paying attention to that person.
- SmileThis is one of the most essential things in making a good impression. A smile makes you look friendly and approachable. Smiling at someone will not only make him/her feel good but this will make you feel better as well. A kind smile can go a long way. Trust me.
- Say “Hello”You need to have courage to say this one. And when you do, believe me, it will create wonders.
- Ask his/her nameThis one is also important. Calling someone by their name will make you feel closer with each other. This creates a sense of intimacy and connection. IMPORTANT: As much as possible, remember his/her name.
- Tell your name Now that you know the other person’s name, it’s time for you to introduce yourself. When the other person knows your name, there is a high possibility that he/she will remember you better.
- Talk (and listen) Communication is a two-way process. Get to know the other person and let him/her do the same. Find out his/her interests so you can have more conversation topics next time.
- Next time!Keep the conversation going. Repeat all the steps and maybe you can even become friends sooner or later. After you get acquainted with each other, an additional tip would be to invite him/her to recreational places such as beaches, movie theaters, game centers, coffee shops, and the like.
If you are still shy and lacking in self-confidence, put this in mind:
“Nothing will happen if I don’t do something.”
Well then – what are you waiting for? Good luck, be confident, and make friends!
—By Marianne Q. Rabang
For more helpful and interesting posts, follow us and stay tuned! You can also check out our top posts ^^
☆ Vietnamese Student Tell All: Why My Heart Belongs to Pines International Academy ☆ A Must Visit Game Cafe on Your Study Break ☆ Rising Cafes to Try this 2017 ☆ Have a Break, Visit Burnham Park ☆ Student Friendly Cafes in Baguio