Things You Should know About Philippine Food
Filipino food is known to be one of the craziest yet most delicious traditional foods. NO! they don’t serve such exotic food but they give the most amazing recipes that everyone wants to try. Philippines is divided into three main islands – the Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. These three regions have their own specialty and we will present these amazing dishes that you would want to try!
- Adobo- Philippines is known for its famous adobo recipe, it is admired by the late legend Mr. Michael Jackson and also by other Hollywood celebrities. It can be chicken, pork and beef Adobo – seasoned with simple ingredients that brings the best out of it.
- Pinikpikan-The English term for this is “killing me softly” it is a famous Baguio City local food that even Filipinos from other region would enjoy eating. It is a way where locals slowly kill the chicken and pray at the same time (sounds interesting isn’t it) well, the killing way makes the chickens meat more tasty whereas the chicken wings part will have more meat naturally. Think about it- they also put a special ingredient known as Etag (Know more about Etag here The art of Etag) to make the recipe timeless. Pinikpikan is a recipe that brings Culture and Art together.
- Sinigang- This is foreigners favorite! it is a soup dish soup that makes you crave for more, it can come with seafood and meat recipe, this is a food that never gets old. For years now, Sinigang wins the heart of many people- not only because it is healthy but it is also because of the culture that it holds. The sour soup brings the tingling face that makes everyone laugh when eating 🙂 just imagine your love ones enjoying this food with crazy and lovable face. Here’s a step-by-step recipe that you would want to try Pork Sinigang Recipe.
- Pinapaitan – The root word of the food name is “pait” which means “Bitter” in English, the food literally is a delicious bitter taste that will make you change your view with the word. You can only find this recipe in the Philippines, it uses goats meat and brings out a natural oil and you certainly would love to try it.Sisig- Wow! so this one’s MY personal favorite, I won’t be too biased but I can eat this all day (I really want to use the first person here) Sisig is a Spicy Sizzling meat menu that never fails to excite your stomach! The seriously great smell brings your appetite jumping to feel the astounding flavors that you will never forget!
- Pancit- This is the common Birthday noodle that most Filipino serve, it symbolizes long life and good health because of its long noodle strips. Filipinos are fond of pancit and this came from the great grandparents of every natives, you will never discover more about Philippines if you never tried this.
Hungry? Wait! we don’t stop there! 🙂
- Beef Tapa- This one is great! every foreigners who tried this keeps on saying the word “Very Delicious” why? The process of meet marination makes it special, it is not ordinary! it needs time and huge love in cooking, I’m not kidding tapa! tapa cooking may seem simple for others but Beef tapa is so soft, tender and juicy.
- Bulalo- Baguio City is located in the mountainous part of the Philippines making it the coldest place of the country, Bulalo on the other hand brings warmth to the locals during and it certainly always available on menus. It actually needs great amount of time in order to make a perfect Bulalo! The combination of sweet banana, corn and other ingredients makes it all a total package.
But wait there’s more!
Who would Forget about Filipino Desserts?
–Don’t leave the table without eating dessert, great desserts brings great day! the following sweets will be a MUST TRY for YOU!
1. Leche Flan -The milky sweet caramel dessert is just a perfect fit! The combination of milk butter and sweet would literally give you an inside rainbow feeling. It is soft layered with caramel on top— Don’t miss this out!
2. Maja Blanca– Filipinos love fiestas and every fiesta serves this coconut pudding, it is not very sweet! so this is recommended to all. From ages to ages, Maja Blanca remains to be Filipinos classic dessert.
3. Ube- others ca`ll it mashed purple sweet potato but the Filipino name for this is UBE, yes! it is made from sweet potato but with a twist. Whenever you come to Baguio CIty (the coldest part of the Philippines) you will always find tourist who are looking for Ube.
4. Halo-halo – Save The best for Last! This is the best Filipino Dessert you will never forget, the mixture of different flavors into a crush ice will make you crave for more. all ages would admire the mixture of flavor- given that Philippines is a warm country, this will give you break!
But you’re probably wondering:
Can I eat all of these? of course you can! 🙂 Don’t be the last to try Filipino food! Come to Philippines and Enjoy every food that you’ll try!
by: Huller Dorothy B. Mondata